CANTON — Chief Charles Doody reports that the Canton Fire Department battled a three-alarm house fire overnight Wednesday into Thursday morning.
On Wednesday, Sept. 11 at approximately 11:20 p.m., the Canton Fire Department responded to a single family home located at 40 Boathouse Road for a report of a possible structure fire.
Upon arrival, crews found heavy fire coming from the attic of a 2 1/2-story home. All six residents had safely exited the home prior to firefighters’ arrival, thanks to properly functioning smoke detectors.
Because the majority of the fire was in the attic, it was difficult for fire crews to get water onto the flames. The roof of the home eventually collapsed.
The fire was declared under control by approximately 6 a.m. Thursday.
Firefighters from Stoughton, Norwood, Sharon, Randolph, Westwood, Avon, Milton and Foxboro assisted at the scene. The Walpole, Easton and Dedham fire departments responded to provide station coverage. Chief Doody would also like to thank the Providence Canteen unit and the Boston Sparks Association Rehab Unit for their assistance at the scene.
No injuries were reported.
The house is reported to be a total loss. The family was displaced and is being assisted by relatives in the area.
The fire was determined to have originated on the rear deck of the home and traveled up the wall and into the attic. The cause of the fire was investigated by the Canton Fire Department and the Massachusetts State Fire Marshal’s Office and was ruled to be accidental.
“This incident shows the importance of working smoke detectors which allowed this family to escape from the house unharmed,” Chief Doody said. “We’re grateful for the strength of the area’s mutual aid system and would like to thank our neighboring departments for the assistance they provided.”